Sunday, June 3, 2007

Memories... Best Christmas present ever... Nefi

The Queen - Silver Nefititi


Kitten profile


Nefi grooming her charge


K'Lyn & Nefi keeping Puppy company when she was sick


True friendship

1st contact between K'Lyn & Nefi on her 2nd day home




Ho ho ho!

VJ will never ever say to me again "anything you want dear", cos those were the fatal words he uttered a few days before christmas years back that started my cat craze.

I have always thought that I was dog person in spite of liking all animals, but my true passion did not emerge till VJ told me I could have anything I wanted for christmas as he didn't have time to get me a present, and a light bulb literally lit up in my head.

Only thing is that the light blub was in the a shape of a cat... Meow!

I gave it a few days then dropped the bomb on VJ, said I wanted to adopt a CAT. His face just had that accepting look, grin.

He asked if I wanted to buy a pedigree cat, but I insisted that I wanted to adopt one, not knowing how diffcult it would be considering I have 2 bull terriers, it was understandable that cat foster parents would not be all too comfortable letting their babies go to a house of supposed 'cat-killers'. Yup, unfortunately bull terriers do have a reputation as cat killers, and I do know a few bull terriers that intensely hate cats. Puppy's dad, Chino, is one of them. A real aweetheart with humans but not so with other lving creatures.

I forged on ahead with my adoption drive, steadfast in my belief in K'Lyn; I knew that she likes cats as there used to be two burmese cats living above her cage at Timbarktu, and she used to play with them in the shop, chasing and licking them. And Puppy will just follow her big sister's lead and be good with cats.

I wrote to a few fosters from Cat Welfare Society, but not surprisingly didn't get a response. Finally a wonderful lady Catherine (apely named yah) answered me and was willing to give our family a chance.

She said she had a silver female kitten around 4 months old and would bring her over to mingle with K'Lyn and Puppy for a trial. I was just so excited as I waited for Catherine and the kitten to come over, thousands of thoughts were racing through my mind; would they deem us suitable adopters? Would K'Lyn and Puppy prove too much for a little kitten? Would the kitten be stressed in our home? And most important of all, will VJ fall in love with the kitten too? I was already falling in love with my potential kitten, sight unseen hahaha.
The deal was sealed the moment I saw Silver (as she was named by Catherine), a ball of elegant silver fluff dorminated by huge memerising greenish yellow eyes, complete with eyeliner to boot! Silver (later renamed Silver Nefititi aka Nefi) was a confident little gal that seemed to have a queenly attitute that rightly earned her the position of Queen of the house and ruler of all 2-leggers, 4-leggers and winged ones; but she was not the typical kind of nasty queen like many cats are, but ran the house with her velvet paw and special soft touch.
From the first moment in our home, she taught K'Lyn and Puppy the proper and respectfully way to treat a cat, especially a lady like herself, this meant no bull rough housing, no chasing her, no dirting the house (she would try and cover up if they did their business on the newspaper), and no messing up her pristine coat etc. Well, most of her rules are being followed, even by all the other family members that joined the home after her, except that Puppy sometimes insist on licking Nefi till her fur is all slated in one direction. Those are the only time I have ever seen Nefi not look perfect, and she'll painstakingly groom herself after Puppy's little licking sessions till she is back to her queenly self. But she never begrudged Puppy's vigourous shows of affection.
To say that Nefi brought out my feline side would be an understatement; in fact she sparked my previously dormant obsesion with cats and all things cats. Maybe it was because having her is such a positive and rewarding experience, or seeing her and K'Lyn and Puppy was the perfect cat and dog 'world peace' kind of moment for me.
Many people are disbelieving when I tell them I have bull terriers and cats; and amazed when they find out how my bulls and cats are best of friends, sleeping, eating and playing together, sometimes I thinks my cats actually like K'Lyn better than me, cos they greet her good morning before me!
Nefi has gone on to charm and convert many non-cat lovers, starting with VJ! She has shown him the true beauty of cats and over the years only became more loving and affectionate. This is the one difference I have noted between dogs and cats, dogs are totally affectionate from the first moment, where else the true character of a cat only surfaces after time, and like good wine, they get only more wonderful with age.

No comments: